Back when I lived in New York, there would always be small white cars with blue lettering driving around… These cars symbolized protection of the city. I remember seeing at least 20 of these cars per day. They were seriously everywhere. Most of the time they were driving around the city, making sure all way correct and in order. That doesn’t mean, it was peaceful all the time. I recall seeing high speed cop cars with their sirens playing as loud as can be, racing their ways toward the crime. I had no doubt, the police department would make a stop to it.

The NYPD was established in 1845 and is one of the oldest and most historic police departments, establishing its roots back to the 17th century. According to nyc.gov, the NYPD is the biggest police department in the whole country. They have the most members in their department, more than big states like Texas, California, Florida, etc. As of 2012, the police department has over 34,000 uniformed officers patrolling the city’s streets and over 51,000 employees overall. This includes the staff, chiefs, and officers all over the several dozen departments around the city I imagine the numbers nowadays being much higher since it is 3 years later. The NYPD even has more employees than the FBI, a nation wide group, that’s crazy! As stated on the guardian.com, In the year of 2013 alone, the budget of the NYPD was a total of 4.6 billion dollars, and that may sound like a huge number, but in reality it is just 15% of the entire city’s budget. Can you imagine how much the other 85% is? It takes a ton of money to run one of the biggest cities in the world.

After doing some research on my favorite law enforcement in the world, I realised that the NYPD is so big, it’s almost like an army itself. The NYPD has a broad array of specialized services, including the Emergency Service Unit, K9, harbor patrol, air support, bomb disposal, counter-terrorism, criminal intelligence, anti-gang, anti-organized crime, narcotics, public transportation and public housing. Doesn’t that sound like an army? They have all these units available to them to keep the city in peace. I believe It is amazing, New York City has the total population of 6.4 million people, and the police department should be allowed to have these sources available to them in order to keep the community together and prevent hostile attacks. Nowadays the NYPD is more secure and alert than they were now… With the population increasing dramatically, and the city having a history of being attacked and in danger. The department should definitely be prepared for whatever may occur.

Now let’s get into what equipment the NYPD uses… When I was in the Sixth grader, my teacher’s brother, a police officer came into my class to demonstrate what their duty is. He showed us what he had on his belt, and I was amazed. They had so much equipment on that belt, I was beginning to wonder how they could carry all that around all day. I remember him showing us his gun, combat stick, flashlight, and  handcuffs. I don’t remember it all since it was so long ago. After doing some research on I found out that they carry their radio, ammo, batteries, weapon of defence which can be pepper spray, taser, or gun, gloves, pens, pencil, and papers. The cars the NYPD uses also varies a lot. I remember seeing dozens of different vehicles that would have that big blue logo on them, It was amazing. The cars ranged from a 1990 chevrolet caprice all the way to a 2016 ford hybrid. The car I used to see the most was a 2008 ford crown victoria… It brings back so many memories when I see a picture of this car. The NYPD also has scooters, motorcycles, trucks, vans, boats, and even helicopters wandering around the city.

To conclude, the NYPD is my favorite law enforcement because of it’s history and how much I relate to it. I truly hope to see it grow and improve.

Advertisements